Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Kathmandu

After being in India it is really pleasant to arrive in Nepal's capital Kathmandu (link). Less traffic, less pollution and less stressful people... This means people here accept a NO and don't annoy you for hours to sell you some bullshit you don't need at all.

My hotel was located  in the melting pot of Kathmandu called Thamel. In the streets of Thamel you could find a lt of outdoor shops, outdoor companies offering any kind of tours, bars, hotels, souvenir shops, .... so even I haven't been to Thailand so far, I assume it is somehow similar - but after almost one month in India very welcome ;-)


Yesterday I did just sightseeing in Kathmandu, which was quite interesting, even more than expected.

I took a bicycle to come around, which I could only recommend, if you feel comfortable in Katmandu's traffic. For me it was more than o.k. cause you are very fast, the distances are not too far and you can stop whenever you want.

The first and probably most interesting sight was Pashupati, which is like "small Varanassi" - here you could join traditional funerals and get an impression of the Hindu's circle of live, death and rebirth...


Here I spoke with a Sadhu, who was quite friendly. But don't expect too much friendliness of Sadhus, or Brahmas - especially not from these on touristic spots. Most of them just wasn't your money, which is from my point of view no holy behaviour at all. => This one was different, he just wanted to smoke Hash with me, what I declined, cause I had still some km's to do by bike in the traffic of Kathmandu.

If you want to give something to Sadhu's give them food, but no money!


Pashupati has also Ghat's where people are sitting, washing their sins away...


But not only people are enjoying the holy atmosphere of Pashupati...


These scenery you could also see in Varanassi, people meditating next to the holy river and opposite to the funeral Ghat.


Here they just lighted the body...


And finally an overview from Pashupati.


In Kathmandu is the biggest Buddha Stupa all over the world located => this one isn't it yet, that was a smaller one close to the big one ;-) but not less impressive... and spraying a much holier atmosphere.


The big stupa is surrounded by cafes, souvenir shops, ... and also holy Buddhist monks are begging for your money. If I see such things than I really regret the people from western countries who sacrify everything linked to Buddhism. I had the feeling that NO religion is really virgin and holy in their holy places - cause otherwise they would miss to earn a lot of money.

Anyhow the stupa is impressive and worth to visit, but I got angry by the naive tourists, who are sacrifying these places.




On the way from the stupa down to Patan Durbar Square I passed in the middle of Kathmandu a rather rural area. It was sad to have a closer look at the rivers, as they were polluted like hell...



Arrived in Patan Durbar Square I was really impressed by the beauty of the buildings, wood carvings, statues, ...









One sight which is similar to Patan Durbar Square, called Kathmandu durbar sqare, I skipped, cause I already spent almost 30 € entrance fees, that day and it did not promise new impressions beside Patan Durbar Square.

On my way to Swoyambhu (monkey temple) I saw another small, less known temple next to the road...



And unfortunately Buddha statue at Swoyambhu...


The stupa of Swoyambhu...


A monkey...


And a beautiful Nepalese girl with her smaller brother.


Next update of the bog will be only in 2-3 weeks, cause tmrw. I will start to the Annapurna Trek.

No comments:

Post a Comment