Tuesday, September 10, 2013

From Srinagar to Leh

I took a 125cc Motorbike from Srinagar which cost me 600 Rupies a day to do a trip to Leh in Ladakh. As I don't have a drivers license for motorbikes I decided to take rather a small one, than the big Royal Enfield - which was a mistake... The roads are really steep between Srinagar to Leh, that it makes def. sense to take a bike with some more power.

But I arrived in Leh, therefore everything is fine ;-) even I was sometimes very slow on the road, especially up hills.

The scenery between Srinagar and Leh is really amazing. Between Srinagar and Sonmarg the valleys are green, afterwards they are getting more and more dry, so that you fell in a desert. But as the Altiplano in Bolivia, this desert is not only amazing, you can also find there a lot of wild living animals.





Not only the scenery was changing, also the people and their behaviour was changing a lot. Ladakhis are looking more than Chinese people than actual like Indians. I have the experience that they are more polite and sometimes even shy - and which was best from my point of view they are you not pushing at all to buy things ;-)

And which impressed me also quite a lot was the point, that people in Ladakh have to pay fine for littering around! Therefore you can rarely find litter on the roads and in the villages, which is from my experience really unique for India.



The peaks next to the road could be sometimes on an altitude around 7000m - but these pictures are not taken yet, but will be taken on the way back from Leh to Srinagar.



In these desert areas you could quite often find oasis, where usually small villages were.



One of these village was Lamayuru with its very famous monastery.








So this trip was really amazing and it could not be compared in doing it by car or bus, therefore I strongly recommend you to rent a motorbike to do this amazing trip. But you should take a big one ;-)

For those who want to know how the bike looks like...


No comments:

Post a Comment