Thursday, December 5, 2013

Yangon


The capital of Myanmar former Burma, now called Yangon (link) is after visiting the hectic places in India, Nepal, Thailand and China pretty relaxed and it does not feel at all like a city with almost 6 Mio inhabitants.

One reason might be, that only the rich people here are having mobile phones and that is maybe one reason why the people are more relaxed than in other places.

On this picture there are some municipal electricians fixing a wiring problem - I really like it the way they are using their ladder.


Probably the most popular place in Yangon is the Shwedagon Pagoda, which is basically a huge Stupa in gold colors surrounded by many pagodas and temples.

Usually I don't like places like this too much, cause beside many tourists and some more temples, which I saw already a lot in my life I usually don't expect anything new.

But there it was different, the are, where the Pagoda is standing on is huge on one hand side - there are not too many western tourists on the other hand and the most important, the people and monks praying there, seemed to be fully by them selves.



By far the coolest monk I saw that day...



By far the coolest western tourist I saw that day...
















Beside the tourist attractions I had a wonderful opportunity to get in touch how Expat live looks like in Yangon. Thanks a lot to Shez and Robin, who I met in Tonsai, cause they invited me to stay with them and took me out for some crazy but funny activities... like "the hash" => (link) which is basically a rally through suburbs following shredded paper marks and drinking a lot => so great fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment